monuments

Structures, buildings or statues to commemorate notable persons or events

OUR LADY OF GRACE SHRINE- SASSE

Blending spirituality and relaxation

Blending spirituality and relaxation

The Our Lady of Grace shrine-Sasse was inaugurated on Sunday September 4, 2011, by Immanuel Balanjo Bushu, Bishop of Buea, though afore discovered by Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Typam, missionary Priest of St. Vincent de Porres Order.

The Shrine, located in Sasse, has a chapel for perpetual adoration, a mini-auditorium with an estimated 100 sitting capacity, and a shop for the sale of religious articles. It is around a waterfall that was freely offered to the Catholic Church by the traditional ruler of Sasse. The waterfall, as described by Bishop Bushu during the inauguration, is a hidden treasure given that even the indigenes and others who have lived in the community for more than a decade, have never had an idea about it.

It is ideal for the numerous pilgrims it draws to its premise, even as the natural noise of the waterfall secludes pilgrims from the many distractions found around the site.

GRAVE OF CHIEF KUVA LIKENYE

Chief Kuva Likenye was the founder of the Buea dynasty. He was the brain behind the Bakweri war of resistance in 1891- 1894 against Gravenreuth, the German commander.

Kuva's final earthly abode

Kuva’s final earthly abode

Buea seemed to have derived her vigour from her indigenous substrate on which the brave warrior and mountain king Kuva Likenye mobilized an ill-trained ragtag army to stand up in arms against German exploitation of the Bakweri people. Kuva may have been spiritually inspired by the mountain god “Ifasa moto”, or the mountain goddess “Liengu la lelu” or better still the mermaid “Liengu la naluwa”or maybe by the founding father of Buea Eye Njie Tama Lifanje.

His epitaph

His epitaph

During the war, he summoned about 400 Bakwerians, who through their might halted the German advancement. The German advancement and wiles in turn sent him on exile to Wonya Mokumba, where he breathed his last in 1894.

 

BUEA FIRST POST OFFICE BUILDING

A glaring artifact of German rule in Cameroon, the first ever post office building in Buea, still stands tall, even as the other German buildings testify of the toughness of German structures in Cameroon.

Tough building, reminiscent of sturdy German era

Tough building, reminiscent of sturdy German era

Perhaps evocative of tough German rule, the first post office building is flanked by the Bismarck Fountain, the Centenary Tower Clock building, and the Governor’s office amongst others. By its main entrance is a post box, where letters were dropped in yesteryears, and/or posts usually delivered.

THE BISMARCK-FOUNTAIN: Haven for tourists!

The Bismarck-Fountain was constructed in 1899 in honour of the German chancellor, prince Otto Von Bismarck.At the death of Bismarck in 1918, former German governor, Jesko Von Puttkamer made it a place of tribute.

Fountain welcomes several tourists

Fountain welcomes several tourists

It is one of the few protected monuments in Cameroon and an important relic of a chapter of German-Cameroonian history. The fountain is a frequent destination for tourists visiting Buea.

The fountain with a view on the highest mountain in Cameroon is in immediate proximity to other historical buildings in Buea, such as the ancient castle of the German Governor, the first post office, and the old German community school.

The German Embassy in Yaoundé with a contribution of around 2.000 € finances conducted works which include the revitalisation of the water stream, the repair and care of the surrounding grounds and the construction of benches inviting guests to stay and enjoy the scenery, with John Ngomba as caretaker.